background image

Weingarten Rights

Give you the right to representation when you’re called into a meeting or interrogation

When a supervisor or manager calls you into an office and begins questioning you about your work, your conduct, your personal life, your Union activity, or anything else, YOU DO HAVE RIGHTS!

The U.S. Supreme Court says that you are entitled to Union representation when you are called into a meeting to discuss discipline, or if you can reasonably expect discipline to be the result.

You Need the Union When You’re Questioned


Article 9.4 of your Union contract says "Any employee who is subject to questioning by the Judiciary or its agents and has reasonable cause to believe that discipline may result is entitled to Union representation during such questioning. The Judiciary shall ensure that employees in such situations are notified accordingly."

In such cases, you should ask for a Union representative. A representative might be a shop steward, a fellow Union member, or a staff representative. Don’t go into the meeting alone unless you are absolutely assured that no discipline will come out of the meeting.

The Weingarten Declaration

For your protection, you should read or hand this statement to management before the start of any meeting that could lead to discipline:

"If the discussion I am being asked to enter could in any way lead to my discipline or termination or impact my personal working conditions, I ask that a union steward, representative or officer be present. Unless I have this union representation, I respectfully choose not to participate in this discussion."

*Remember: If somebody denies you your rights, you can grieve to recover them.
If you give them away, you may not be able to get them back.

Contribute Today!

Contributing to CWA-COPE PCC is easy. There are two ways to contribute to CWA-COPE PCC: by check or payroll deduction. A minimum of $1 per week or more is requested.

Where available, payroll deduction is a convenient, easy way to contribute. Simply download the Payroll Deduction Card [Acrobat 268K] and follow the instructions. Mail the card to: CWA-COPE, 501 Third St. N.W., Washington, D.C., 20001. We will determine your eligibility for payroll deduction when we receive your card.

You can also download the CWA-COPE Personal Check Form [Acrobat 4K]. Complete the form with your check and mail to: CWA-COPE, 501 Third St. N.W., Washington, D.C., 20001.

All citizens deserve good government. But CWA members also deserve decent jobs, affordable health care, a secure retirement and future opportunity for their children. We can only move our agenda forward by electing politicians who support our issues.

But winning elections takes money. Does big money always win elections? No. But it usually does.

In 1996, candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives who raised the most money won 92% of the time. In the U.S. Senate, they won 88% of the time.

Where does "Big Money" come from? Big Business outspent working families by an 11-to-1 margin in the 1996-98 election cycle.

Working families can never match the contributions of Big Business. But we can combine our resources to raise enough money to make a real difference in hundreds of key elections at the federal, state and local level.

CWA-COPE PCC is YOUR political action fund. CWA-COPE PCC is funded by your voluntary contributions. CWA can only use your voluntary dollars to contribute to an endorsed candidate. No union dues money of any kind can be given to a political candidate.

Your CWA-COPE PCC contribution is the difference between getting a form letter or a handwritten letter from your elected official, or between actually seeing an elected official or the staff person about your concerns. Politics makes a difference in your life and the lives of your family. Together, CWA members can make a difference in politics through CWA-COPE PCC.

Here's how to contribute:

This portion of this website is paid for by the CWA Committee on Political Education - Political Contributions Committee, with voluntary contributions from union members and their families, and is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

reminderDON'T FORGET...

After signing up four members you will receive a $25.00 Visa Gift Card.

*Procedures for signing up new members:

1. Members are to fill out the sign up cards and sign the bottom. (white cards for state workers; pink cards for UMDNJ and Libraries)
2. You should then make two copies of the card. One copy is to be sent via fax or mail to our offices. The second copy is for your records (or whoever is in charge of new members). The original copy should be forwarded to Payroll Department
so they can begin deducting dues.
3.The Local office will take care of sending out new member packets and membership cards. It is important we get a copy of the card so their name may be entered into our database and they will be sure to receive mailings.